Tennesseans for Student Success welcomes you to Inside TNSuccess.Read below for important news happening around the state in the education space and ways you can get involved and stay informed.
Congrats to our Tristar Reads Elementary Division Winner, Tallen Haag from Portland, TN
TSS recently recognized our 2019 Tristar Reads Elementary division winner from the Portland area at the Portland Public Library where she was awarded a $1,000 scholarship for her future education. This summer, Tallen read 471.4 hours, the most ever read in our program to date, from May 1 – September 7.
During the program at the Portland Public Library, Youth Services Director, Linda Ackerman gave a brief talk on the importance of reading from an early age and how it helps improve student success. Additionally, Rep. William Lamberth joined the program and read Oh the Places You Will Go to the children that attended the program.
To read more about the presentation, click here.
To learn more about our annual Tristar Reads program, click here.
Public education isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach. Do you champion innovation in education so that students can be free to innovate, adapt, and flourish in the classroom and beyond? Let us know!
TDOE School Turnaround Listening Tour
Have you heard? The Tennessee Department of Education is holding a School Turnaround Listening tour this month in Shelby County, Davidson County, Hamilton County, and Jackson-Madison County. The purpose of this tour is to offer a voice to the community where the majority of Priority schools are located in Tennessee. The Department will solicit feedback, listen to stakeholders, parents, education partners, and engaged citizens who want to take a closer look at solutions to help student improvement and growth. Take a look at the schedule below:
Monday, October 28th – Hamilton County, Brainerd High School
Tuesday, October 29th – Davidson County, American Red Cross
Wednesday, October 30th – Jackson-Madison County, Liberty Technology Magnet High School
Monday, November 4th – Davidson County, American Red Cross
To see the full schedule and further details from TDOE, click here.
In Case You Missed It…
- The Daily Memphian: Levi’s, Justin Timberlake gift Stax Music Academy Songwriting Lab
- Kingsport Times News: Marvelous Metals: Fourth-graders celebrate Chemistry Week
- Times Free Press: Hamilton County Schools superintendent hopes for more community buy-in, support of public schools
- The Tennessean: Sen. Marsha Blackburn pushes to relocate U.S. education department to Tennessee
- Local Memphis: 2,000 students enrolled in SCS’s first fall break learning academy
- Knoxville News Sentinel: Thinking about transferring schools? Knox County’s window is open. Here’s how to do it
- Chalkbeat: Five questions with the Memphis pastor on a mission to raise awareness around childhood trauma