FULL TIME POSITION
Tennesseans for Student Success is a statewide network of teachers, parents, community leaders, and volunteers who are dedicated to supporting, championing, and fighting for Tennessee’s students and their futures. We are committed to building on Tennessee’s historic gains in education. We have been named the fastest improving state in the nation in education, broken ACT records, graduated more students on time, and offered early opportunities for success—and that is just the beginning. We work every day to make sure today’s students are more prepared and have even more opportunities for success than those who graduated before them. Our organization’s efforts include legislative advocacy, grassroots organizing, statewide engagement, and issue advocacy to support high-quality public education across Tennessee.
If you are a mission-driven professional with experience in using data to support policy change, read on to learn more about this exciting opportunity!
This is a full-time role that reports to the advocacy director. For this role, you will need to live in or near Nashville, TN, be willing to work in our office in downtown Nashville 4-5 days per week and have the ability to work from home 1 day per week. Typical hours for this role are 8am to 5pm, Monday-Friday, although on occasion you will need to work additional hours on evenings or weekends to support key engagements or events.
The successful candidate works as part of a team engaged in a variety of topics and providing strategic support to the legislative and executive staff. By creating both broad and targeted narratives based on audience goals and on interactions with the media, they will ensure message alignment across the organization.
The mission of the Data Manager is to manage and employ TSS data systems to improve advocacy efforts in support of student-focused reforms. The Data Manager will be a key member of the team, working in partnership with our field and government relations teams to identify data-driven strategies for supporting organizational initiatives. The Data Manager will provide actionable insights using a large repository of first-party data.
The Data Manager will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Manage and fulfill various requests for internal and external projects and stakeholders.
- Leverage TSS internal data systems and the core voter file to help the organization and its partners in their outreach and advocacy efforts.
- Utilize thousands of political, demographic, and consumer data points to develop actionable insights, polling samples, and various files that allow the organization and partners to achieve its outreach and advocacy goals.
- Analyze voter, polling, and research data to provide actionable insights to help drive strategic initiatives and advocacy goals.
- Apply political knowledge and understanding to aid TSS in making calculated decisions, making use of data and technical skills.
- Use Excel and other tools to build predictive models using various data sources and techniques to inform practical business decisions.
- Effectively use data to make better decisions.
Quantitative Analysis: The Data Manager will have significant experience or knowledge analyzing large datasets and will have experience in using quantitative analysis to answer business questions by utilizing a large internal database, with the goal of generating actionable insights for the organization and its partners.
Quality Communication: The Data Manager must be excellent in both written and oral communication. This includes the ability to present highly technical information to nontechnical audiences and to assist in developing complex engagement strategies by utilizing multiple media with diverse audiences. The Data Manager must also have the ability to quickly summarize a large amount of information, both in writing and orally, on a regular basis.
Political Sophistication: It is essential for the Data Manager to have an awareness and appreciation for the ways grassroots and issue advocacy outreach have evolved in recent years. The Data Manager must understand how to develop field experiments and to target strategies and analyze results within an evolving political climate in order to create successful issue advocacy campaigns. Providing timely and relevant political analysis, accurately measuring and forecasting outcomes, and being able to create appealing data visualizations to convey relevant information are critical to this role.
Collaboration: We magnify our organization’s success when we work collaboratively as a team and with external partners. In line with our commitment to improving student achievement in Tennessee, our Data Manager will strive to inform and support outreach strategies for partners in the civic, business, religious, and philanthropic sectors. They will assist in developing internal and external metrics and dashboards to track progress on key metrics while using data files to identify new opportunities to improve student outcomes.
- Bachelor’s Degree required (Master’s Degree preferred) in statistics, engineering, mathematics, computer science, computational social science, physics, or operations research program.
- Minimum of four years of experience conducting analysis and building production-level machine learning, predictive analytics systems, and data pipelines.
- Two years minimum of professional experience, preferably in campaigning/electoral politics or political data.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, including the ability to combine multiple datasets, manage multiple headers between similar files, normalize large datasets (by size and record count), and generate useful pivot tables.
- A thorough understanding of the mathematical fundamentals of machine learning and statistics.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen well and to communicate effectively as well as to explain complex technical material to nontechnical audiences.
- An understanding of how data informs and interacts with the political process.
- Knowledge of rStudio or similar computer programming languages preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently.
To apply, please cover letter and PDF of your resume via email to email@example.com
Tennesseans for Student Success is an Equal Opportunity Employer.